Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Perks of Being a Wallflower: A review.


This is, as we all know, one of the most quoted books on the internet. I read it as the first of my 50 books for my 20 by 20 goal, and found it to be a resounding "meh." It was good, but in a general way. You know how there are books where the main character is so nondescript that you know they are trying to make it so anyone can put themselves in their shoes? This was like that. 

The plot basically follows this shy/emotional kid's first years of high school. He reads a lot, and there is a ton of book mentions in it. I am kinda contemplating picking out a few of the books that I've not read yet to read as a part of my goal. He is a watcher, hence the title of the book. He watches the people around him live, and has a sort of running commentary on their lives, which are ultimately his own. The book is written as a set of letters to an unknown person. 

The ending was incredibly predictable, at least for me, and that was a bit of a downer. My major concentration may have played into that, so I wouldn't be overly concerned. 

In the end, I'm glad that I read it, but it wasn't a major life changing book. It wasn't even a top-twenty fluff novel. It was a decent read, and if you have the chance to read it and a couple hours of spare time, pick it up! It is a quick and easy read. 

(I'm really too old for it, and that probably played into my mehness.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love to read and respond to your comments.