Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tuesday Tidbit

I always find it vaguely surprising when people show up in things like ratty sweatpants or pajama pants. I realize that it is a community college, but I try not to leave the house looking too terrible. My fall back outfit is a fitted fleece sweatshirt that I got on sale for about $5, a pair of dark skinny jeans, and a clean walking/running shoes of some kind. Whenever I go out like that, I always try to make sure that my hair looks good, and I am wearing a bit of makeup.

Why?

Because I have met people who I never would have guessed I would meet while out and about. Even if you don’t think that you are going to see anyone, you should prepare for it.

My classmates sometimes disgust me, because they put forth no effort whatsoever. I’m not asking for them to spend a lot of money, but for them to put an effort in. These are the instructors that are going to be giving you a recommendation for the next step. Wearing worn-out spongebob pajama pants and a torn up sweatshirt while playing WoW isn’t going to impress them.

Maybe I take it too seriously, but I recently interviewed for a position at my gym, in an area that I never work out in/go near. The woman interviewing me recognized me, and said that she had seen me a few times before, working out. She said two or three times throughout the course of the interview that I am very regal, and that is what she thought when she saw me working out. I wear Target workout gear. Trust me, I’m not trying to impress.

But I always put my hair in a neat ponytail or braid, and I come in after class, so I have a bit of makeup on. Just enough to say that I realize that I am in public, and in view.

I would much rather be overdressed than underdressed if I have an impromptu meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love to read and respond to your comments.