Monday, February 21, 2011

How to live well on a limited budget

This will probably be a two or three part post, because I have a lot of info and very little time (yay university applications!)

Recently I pulled my iPad out when I was in class, and one of my classmates kind of snorted and said “Must be nice.” I asked for an explanation. He said that it must be nice to have everything that I have, to have that sort of financial freedom. I just smiled and let it go, but I found it vaguely amusing.

See, I’m a student, fully self-supported and unfortunately unemployed. I’m paying car insurance for an old Mercedes, I’ve paid for all of my clothing, and I have paid for all of my technology. I also have a latte twice a week and have a gym membership. Not a fantastically high life, but to him, it was nicer than the average college student’s life.

My family lives in a trailer park. I contribute financially to them as well. I do not live off of my parents.

The number one most important thing:

Personal responsibility.

You cannot blame your situation on someone else and expect to do well. Ultimately, we have to decide to move beyond what has been done to us, and choose how we are going to live. Whining about how you weren’t born with money/looks isn’t going to make you more wealthy or attractive. It will make you seem obnoxious and pathetic.

Number two:

Limited pride

I have worked in management and I have worked as a waitress. Carry yourself the same way at whether you are CEO of a global power or you are taking orders at your local McDonalds. A positive, graceful attitude that is consistent is the most powerful, appealing quality. When you start looking at the world with an elitist attitude, you start to lose accessibility, and you become far less attractive. I would much rather work with or hire someone who is sure of their abilities, but humble.

I have class with this kid who thinks that he is god’s gift to humanity — that he is a visionary, that he is too smart for everyone. He is also constantly complaining about how he gets death threats and no one likes him/wants to date him. Trust me, if you are that great of a person, people will like you and want you. “Visionary” is not synonymous with “asshole.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love to read and respond to your comments.